We have several board members whose terms are expiring this fall. This year, the offices up for election are Treasurer, and Membership Secretary, and four “Member-at-large” positions, each being a 2-year term. Election to the board is open to any member in good standing.
ALDHA Election Process:
Our bylaws require us to adhere to certain stipulations assuring an orderly and transparent election process, thus online and paper ballot voting will take place prior to the time of the Gathering in August and September.
1. Nomination process: The following procedures have been established by the board to make publicly available to our members the open positions along with description of their duties and expectations on the ALDHA Website.
Section 5.6 Membership Secretary. The membership secretary shall keep the membership list of the
corporation, shall record applications for membership, payment of dues, renewal of membership and
expiration of membership, shall keep up to date the address and telephone numbers of the members in a
directory and shall distribute the directory to the members, and shall perform all duties incident with the office
of membership secretary and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned to him or her by the
coordinator or the board of directors. The membership secretary shall deliver a written statement on the
current status of the membership to the board of directors, at the Spring board of directors meeting and the
annual meeting during the Gathering as a matter of record.
Section 5.7 Treasurer. The treasurer shall have charge and custody of and be responsible for all funds and
other financial instruments and financial records of the corporation, receive and give receipts for
disbursements, and deposit all monies in the name of the corporation in such banks and other financial
institutions as shall be selected in accordance with these Bylaws. The treasurer shall perform all duties
incident to the office of treasurer and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned to him or her by
the coordinator or the board of directors.
Board Members At-Large are expected to participate in all board meetings including the Spring Meeting, at
the Gathering and any monthly online meetings, and may be appointed by the Coordinator to help with
various ALDHA programs.
• All board members must abide by and sign the standard “conflict of interest” statement.
• Board members are expected to help carry the load of managing the day-to-day business of ALDHA. We are a working board and it is not uncommon for board members to take on multiple tasks or… “hats”.
• Board members are expected to attend the Gathering, in-person board meetings, and monthly electronic meetings. Board members are encouraged, when possible and feasible, to attend trail functions such as the ATKO, Trail Days and local trail festivals
• Board members are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the ALDHA bylaws, policies, and motions passed by the board both past and present.
If you are interested or want to nominate another member please be sure they are interested. Nominees will be expected to submit a brief biography and a statement of why they want to serve on the board. This is similar to the process we observed when members were nominated from the floor at the Gathering. These personal statements will be posted on the ALDHA website before ballots are sent the first week of September. The timeline for this process is critical, so please watch the deadlines.
Accepting a nomination and subsequent election to the board gives you the ability to affect the future of ALDHA. The pay is lousy (none), there is always plenty of work but you can’t beat the camaraderie. During the last several months of very difficult decisions, our board has worked well together and moved forward. If you love ALDHA and the hiking community, please give serious consideration to joining the board.
Posting of Results:
August 1st - nominations open
August 21st - nominations close
September 1st - both electronic and snail mail ballots (for members without email) will be made available.
September 30th - elections close.
October 9th - election results announced at the Gathering annual meeting.
Six positions are up for reelection this fall.
Member at Large
Member at Large
Member at Large
Member at Large
Duties and Responsibilities for All Board Members:
1. All board members must agree to and sign a conflict of interest statement.
2. Board members are expected to help carry the load of managing the day-to-day business of ALDHA. We are a working board and it is not uncommon for board members to wear multiple “hats.”
3. Board members are expected to attend the Gathering, in-person board meetings, and monthly electronic meetings. Board members are encouraged, when possible and feasible, to attend trail functions such as the ATKO, Trail Days and local trail festivals.
4. Board members are expected to conduct themselves in accordance with the ALDHA bylaws and motions passed by the both past and present boards.
5. Board members are required to adhere to the ALDHA Communications Policy.